Hearing loss can manifest in many different ways. Depending on the degree or severity of the hearing loss, symptoms can range from occasional difficulty understanding words to inability to communicate with others and social isolation.
While there are a few different types of hearing loss and many different causes, the symptoms are generally similar regardless of type or cause.
- Listening to television or radio at a high volume
- Trouble understanding speech, especially in noisy environments
- The perception that others are mumbling
- Difficulty hearing people on the phone
- Often asking people to repeat themselves
- Avoiding social situations
- Exhaustion after attending social events
- Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears
The most common type of hearing loss is sensorineural hearing loss, and this type often results in a decreased ability to hear high-pitched sounds.